Re: [Re]distribution of disk images

Ottavio Caruso wrote:
Then, I believe that sites that offer user-contributed images are
substantially violating the GPL, although 'bona fide'. What's your
opinion?

It would seem that the FSF takes action against such distribution, even though no harm was intended by the distributors.

MEPIS, I think, is the most famous of these: after repeatedly releasing binary distributions and saying 'get the source from Debian' they got a letter from the FSF[1]. The Newsforge article goes into quite a bit of detail on this issue, and is well worth reading.

[1] - http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/23/1728205&tid=150
--
Lewis Jardine
IANAL, IANADD