Re: Package copyright problems

Jesse van den Kieboom <jesse@icecrew.nl> wrote:

> /******************************************************************************
>   Copyright (c) 1992, 1995, 1996 Xerox Corporation.  All rights
> reserved.
>   Portions of this code were written by Stephen White, aka ghond.
>   Use and copying of this software and preparation of derivative works
> based
>   upon this software are permitted.  Any distribution of this software
> or
>   derivative works must comply with all applicable United States export
>   control laws.  This software is made available AS IS, and Xerox
> Corporation
>   makes no warranty about the software, its performance or its
> conformity to
>   any specification.  Any person obtaining a copy of this software is
> requested
>   to send their name and post office or electronic mail address to:
>     Pavel Curtis
>     Xerox PARC
>     3333 Coyote Hill Rd.
>     Palo Alto, CA 94304
>     Pavel@Xerox.Com
>
> *****************************************************************************/
>
> I'm not sure how to handle this:
> Any person obtaining a copy of this software is requested to send their
> name and post office or electronic mail address to

To me, that sounds like "Public Domain, plus a reminder to abide by the
law (which is irrelevant), plus a warranty disclaimer (which is
irrelevant) plus a non-binding request for notification".  I don't see
any problems with inclusion in a GPL project.

> Also my package got rejected because it contains LGPL licenced parts,
> but I don't know which part that is (or is that because I use all sorts
> of libraries?).
>
> Any advice on the subject would be great.

It seems to me as if the problems you have are not actual license
incompatibilities, but an incomplete debian/copyright file, and
obviously lack of knowledge (and care before the first upload) about the
license status of the individual files.

There's nothing special about packages that contain differently licensed
parts, as long as they are compatible -you just need to clearly indicate
this in the copyright file.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster