Re: Translation of a license

Tobias Toedter wrote:

> "This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify\n"
> "it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by\n"
> "the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at\n"
> "your option) any later version.\n"
> "\n"
> "This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but\n"
> "WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of\n"
> "MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU\n"
> "General Public License, /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL, for more details\n"

This isn't the license, its just "an announcement including an
appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or
else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may
redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user
how to view a copy of this License." [GPL 2c].

Nothing about 2c says this notice must be in English, and indeed
considering the purpose of 2c, I'd suspect it *should* be translated.

I agree with Henning Makholm here.