Re: Linux and GPLv2

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:45:36AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
[snip excellent example of wild linking graphs]

> Some argue that this is in violation of the GPL.  I, however, fail to
> see how any part involved, except the FTP plugin, can possibly be
> construed a derivative of the GPL'd library.

I don't think it's a GPL violation.  To my way of thinking, the derivatives
graph would look like this (where "A --> B" means "B is a derivative work of
A"):

GPL'd library --> FTP plugin <-- plugin loader

plugin loader --> HTTP plugin <-- curl <-- OpenSSL

(I've broken up the graph at the plugin loader for space, not because the
two relationship sets don't hold simultaneously)

So, reading this, the FTP plugin is a derivative of the loader and the GPL'd
library, so the FTP plugin's licence must be compatible with both of those
(with the loader being MIT, the plugin could be MIT, BSD, GPL, whatever).
The HTTP plugin, being a derivative of the loader and curl/OpenSSL needs to
have a licence compatible with those.

I think it's a big leap to determine that the FTP plugin is a derivative of
the HTTP plugin, or vice versa, if there are no elements of one which are
involved in the other.  While lawyers can sometimes convince a judge that
black is white, I certainly wouldn't be going into a legal case expecting to
win if I were either of the GPL'd library or OpenSSL authors looking for
damages due to licence infringement.

- Matt