Re: Linux and GPLv2

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Daniel Carrera <dcarrera@math.umd.edu> writes:
> > My understanding is that Linux is distributed under the GPLv2
> > exclusively. That is, instead of the usual "GPL version 2 or later" it
> > just says "GPL version 2".
>
> That's what it says, yes.  People occasionally question the validity
> of that, though, arguing that the statement was added after many
> people had already made contributions.

Interesting point. But the statement would apply certainly to
Linus' own contributions. And that would preclude distribution
of anything containing those contributions under anything but GPLv2
I think. But if you can take out his code (and any other that's
GPLv2 only), you'd be free to apply GPLv3 if and when it comes out.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself