Re: Help: Copyright notice

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:31:35PM -0500, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> It's me again :-)
> I asked my team aobut using a dual license, GPL / CC-BY. So far the
> response has been good. Several people have said "yay" and no one has said
> "nay". We are currently drafting the copyright notice. Some people wanted
> to make the terms clearer. So this is what I came up with:
>

>    This document is Copyright 2004 by its contributors as defined in
>    the section titled Authors. You can distribute it and/or modify it
>    under the terms of either the GNU General Public License, version 2
>    or later (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html), or the Creative
>    Commons Attribution License, version 2.0 or later
>    (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/).
>

> I have now been asked to run this by you. To see if anyone here sees a
> problem with it. In particular, someone was wondering if we were required
> to add "under the terms of" before "the Creative Commons...".

I wouldn't think so.  I would guess that someone's parser is putting the
wrong precedence on things, like so:

((under the terms of either the GPL) or CC-BY) or (either (under the terms
of the GPL) or (CC-BY)) instead of (under the terms of either (the GPL) or
(CC-BY)).

I don't think it's a major problem -- as you note, Perl has identical
wording, and it reads pretty easily to me as-is.  About the only possible
problem I could envisage would be with tying the either to the 'or' in "GPLv2
or later" instead of the 'or' in "or the CC-BY", but the comma should put
paid to that.

- Matt