Re: Help: Copyright notice

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:31:35 -0500 Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> It's me again :-)
> I asked my team aobut using a dual license, GPL / CC-BY. So far the
> response has been good. Several people have said "yay" and no one has
> said "nay".

Really wonderful!   :-))))

> We are currently drafting the copyright notice. Some
> people wanted to make the terms clearer. So this is what I came up
> with:
>

>    This document is Copyright 2004 by its contributors as defined in
>    the section titled Authors. You can distribute it and/or modify it
>    under the terms of either the GNU General Public License, version 2
>
>    or later (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html), or the Creative
>    Commons Attribution License, version 2.0 or later
>    (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/).
>

> I have now been asked to run this by you. To see if anyone here sees a
> problem with it. In particular, someone was wondering if we were
> required to add "under the terms of" before "the Creative Commons...".
>
> I am pretty sure we don't need that, on the basis that Perl's notice
> doesn't have it. This is Perl's notice:
>
>   <perl-notice>
>     This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>     modify it under the terms of either:
>
>         a) the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
>         Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option) any
>         later version, or
>
>         b) the "Artistic License" which comes with this Kit.
>   </perl-notice>
>

> Notice that the notice I wrote follows the Perl one. I figured that
> Perl is a tried-and-true Free Software project with a dual license.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

Why don't you phrase it *more* like the Perl one and the GPL-suggested
one?
Something like:

| MySuperUsefulGuide - A guide to cool things
| Copyright (C) 2004  contributors listed in section titled Authors
|
| This work is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
| it under the terms of either:
|
|     a) the GNU General Public License as published by
|   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
|   (at your option) any later version, or
|
|     b) the Creative Commons Attribution License, version 2.0
|   (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/) or (at your option)
|   any later version
|
| This work is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
| WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
| MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
| See the licenses for more details.

And do not forget to ship a copy of the GNU GPL v2 along with the
document (a text file containing the GPL and accompanying the document
will suffice).

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4