Re: asterisk and mysql_cdr

Hi Steve,

Am Freitag, den 25.02.2005, 14:13 -0800 schrieb Steve Langasek:

> > >  In my opinion that removal was wrong and unnecessary. Copyright holders
> > > for a GPL package can put exceptions to allow distribution of binaries
> > > of their software linked to GPL-incompatible pieces of software. And the
> > > viral seed of GPL has nothing to do here, as the program who links to
> > > GPL incompatible software is GPL itself.
>
> > >  If what the Asterisk author says above were true, his only problem were
> > > not mysql. The same for every program giving an exception for linking
> > > with OpenSSL or other different GPL incompatible software.
>
> > It sounds like Asterisk's authors wish to allow Asterisk to be linked
> > against GPL-incompatible libraries (which I assume "G.729" and "OpenH.323"
> > are examples of).
>
> > If they wish to do this, they need an explicit exception from the copyright
> > holders of *all* GPL works being linked against.  This means that not only
> > must the Asterisk authors grant an exception; they also must have an exception
> > from the MySQL copyright holders, as well, and any other GPL libraries they
> > use.
>
> > Presumably, MySQL won't grant such an exception.  Therefore, distributing
> > an Asterisk binary linked against both MySQL and G.729 violates the license
> > of MySQL.  Exceptions granted by Asterisk can't fix this (though they can
> > make it worse if poorly implemented, as below).
>
> libopenh323 is distributed under the MPL 1.0, for which MySQL AB have
> already granted a linking exception.
>
> YMMV for other GPL code involved.

thanks for the pointer. Yet it's to be said that H323 support was
*completely* removed from asterisk recently and replaced by the new
source asterisk-oh323. Thus the asterisk source and its debs do not link
with OpenH323 at all, the entire H323 support is derived from installing
asterisk-oh323 (which unfortunatelly is still stuck in NEW). Moreover
the source of asterisk-addons will bring their own packages which again
reside all within the GPL domain as far as i have checked. I am still
wondering if this is better to be shipped within the asterisk source as
patch or as extra source.

Now the only problem (if any) is the fact that the asterisk source does
technically offer linking with OpenH323 (yet another version than is in
the archive). If a user does do that from a debian source to my
understanding that is no problem of Debian providing that source in the
first place. However that's nothing Debian-specific, but that's by the
upstream source. If this poses a problem, we can just force the source
to ship without chan_h323 easily, like we now do with the Music-on-Hold
files.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian