Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:16:46 +0000 Matthew Garrett wrote:

> If we actually upheld this standard at present, it would result in us
> removing a large number of packages from Debian.

I think that these issues are sarge-ignore because of GR2004-004, but
will be release-critical bugs post-Sarge.

> However, even
> ignoring that, I think your definition leads to some strangeness. It
> suggests that a JPEG is DFSG-free in and of itself in some cases, but
> that the existence of a lossless representation of that picture
> renders the JPEG non-free unless it's distributed with that lossless
> representation. If I delete the only copy of the lossless picture, is
> the JPEG now source?
>
> If a JPEG can be considered "free enough" under some circumstances,
> I'm confused as to why it's not always good enough.

OK, think of a program.
I give you a file written in C, that can be compiled by gcc into the
binary executable.

Am I giving you the source code?
Yes, in most cases, I am.

But what if the program is a parser generated by Bison?
Now the C code is not source code anymore.
The grammar description is the real source code.

If C code can be considered "free enough" under some circumstances, why
is it not always good enough?
Because it's not always the "preferred form for modification", that's
why!

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4