Re: [Fwd: Re: mplayer, the time has come]

Scripsit A Mennucc <mennucc1@debian.org>

>  debianizer - isn't there a debian/rules way to do this now?

> no way at all

Yes way. Look up the documentation of 'debian/rules get-orig-source'
in policy.

> suppose that I do this:
> $ tar xjf MPlayer-1.0pre6.tar.bz2
> $ mv MPlayer-1.0pre6  mplayer-1.0pre6
> $ tar czf mplayer_1.0pre6.orig.tar.gz

> at this point I am dead:

Doctor, it hurts when I do this? Then don't do that. There are no a
priori restrictions on what kind of rearrangement and deletion code
you can put in the get-orig-source target. An rm command is fully
allowed.

> when I looked in it 2 years ago, I saw that many files did not have proper
> copyright statements in them. Since I am not packaging anything from
> TOOLS, I took the radical step to delete them

Ideally, repackaged source should only omit subsystems that we have a
good reason to omit. Too radical deletion is a disservice to users who
use the Debian sources to build things and who might have a use for
those things. If they are in the upstream sources and free enough for
us to ship in the source package, we should ship them in the source
package.

--
Henning Makholm                         "Logic is a system for talking about
                   propositions that can be true or false, or at least enjoy