Authority and procedures of debian-legal

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:40:10 -0500
Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> (I've already explained how this relates to the DFSG, despite the DFSG
> not attempting to exhaustively list non-free restrictions.)

I understand that the DFSG is a Guideline, those guidlines are
open to interpretation, and debian legal is seen as the authoritive
place to interperate the DFSG in new or changing conditions.

An extract of clause 1 of the debian social contract states...

"As there are many definitions of free software, we include the
guidelines we use to determine if software is "free" below"

For debian-legal to abide by Debians Social Contract, i think someone
should be attempting to "exhaustively list non-free restrictions".

I think a vote should be required, and the DFSG changed before
debian-legal assumes the right to impose any new restrictions.

Glenn