Re: Making legal issues as short as possible

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:20:29AM +0100, Harald Geyer wrote:
> > > Would a software with the following statement and without any further
> > > copyright or licensing notice be free?
> > >
> > > "Copyright 2005 by XYZ. No rights reserved."
> > >
> > > Any issues with that?

> > This means "all rights
> > reserved" because that's always what is meant when no license is
> > given.
>
> That's definitely wrong, as I don't mean "all rights reserved". ;)
> How it is interpreted by a judge is a different question of course.
>
> I wonder how something can be read the opposite of what is written
> down. (But probably the legal folks wouldn't have a job otherwise.)

It's fairly simple: what it said had no legal significance. In the
absence of anything saying otherwise (and since that meant nothing,
there's nothing saying otherwise), the state is "all rights
reserved". The corporations bought that law in the 1970s.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |