Re: Firefox/Thunderbird trademarks: a proposal

Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:
> I must admit I'm finding this a bit frustrating. I came to debian-legal,
> listened to what people (including, I believe, the Thunderbird package
> maintainer) were saying, and drew up a document[0] which I hoped would
> meet Debian's requirements, further modifying it based on feedback[1].
> This modified version has been approved of by at least one list
> member[2]. However, I am now hearing a completely different viewpoint
> from Eric about what sort of things are acceptable and considered
> DFSG-free.

There is no way to compel a package maintainer to include code or
functionality under a license that they don't like. As a community of
volunteers, Debian can set a minimum standard ("Your work doesn't get in
unless it's at least this free"), but individual members can hold
different ones.

I believe that the policy you've come up with is likely to be acceptable
to Debian as a whole, but I'm afraid that you do need to convince the
package maintainer as well. There's a limited amount of social pressure
the project can put on someone in this sort of situation.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org