Re: SableVM/Kaffe pissing contest

Walter Landry writes:

> > > Many of the utilities are covered by the exemption given by the FSF in
> > > the gpl-interpreter FAQ.
> >
> > The gpl-interpreter FAQ addresses the interpreted scripts, not
> > programs that use the utilities to operate.
>
> The FAQ addresses a GPL'd language and non-GPL'd scripts, which is
> exactly what we have here.

The FAQ also addresses the execution relationship, and does not
mention distribution together or separately.  I cannot see how your
interpretation of "whole work [based on the Program]" can be applied
to Eclipse but not to other non-GPL packages which use GPLed utilities
that are Essential on a Debian system.

If the argument is that there is a non-"mere aggregation" relationship
determined by the Depends relationship, the entire Debian system has
the same relationship to Essential packages.  If the argument is that
there is a non-"mere aggregation" relationship due to Eclipse needing
a Java interpreter or compiler, the gpl-interpreter FAQ answers it.

(Incidentally, is not gjc in main?  It seems a likely candidate to
substitute for Kaffe if you wish for another GPL-free way to execute
Eclipse.)

Michael Poole