Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 02:29:22PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Um, sorry for temporarily misplacing my temper here. I see now that I
> have indeed expressed myself ambguously. I originally wrote something
> like
>
>      Before we begin a clean-room reimplementation, we should ask
>      Apple for permission to do foo.
>
> Most readers have understood that to mean "we cannot do a clean-room
> reimplementation without permission to do foo", and tried to tell me
> that this is wrong, which indeed it is.
>
> What I really meant was
>
>      Doing foo is easier and safer than a clean-room reimplementation,
>      but would need permission from Apple. We should not begin
>      spending effort on a clean-room reimplementation until we have
>      reason to believe that Apple won't let us do foo instead.
>
> Does that make my subsequent comments clearer?

Thanks for the clarification.

IMO we should do a clean-room implementation anyway.  1) Past
experiences with Apple have not been very fruitful, just ask the Linux
Mac68K hackers.  2) I disagree that disassembling the boot ROM is
"safer".  What's "safer" from a legal perspective is a clean-room
reimplementation.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      If encryption is outlawed, only