Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:38:27PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > If the thing that is being reverse-engineered is covered by copyright,
> > and the reverse-engineering follows it tightly enough that the result
> > is a derivate of the original thing, then some kind of permission *is*
> > needed.

> I don't think your understanding of reverse-engineering is applicable in
> the U.S.

I thin you don't understand which kind of reverse engineering I'm
talking about. I'm afraid I am not able to be any clearer without
repeating myself.

> If you came by a functionally identical result through independent
> means (and clean-room reverse-engineering qualifies as such under
> U.S. court precedent),

Read my lips: I am *not* talking about "a *functionally* identical
result" or "clean rooms". I am talking about a deliberate (and quick)
reconstruction of assembler source for the excat bits that Apple has a
copyright on.

--
Henning Makholm                                  "The bread says TOAAAAAST."