Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:

> > It's not the "reverse engineering" that needs permission; it's the
> > "distribute derived code".

> The spec has been reverse engineered.  The code is then created from
> the spec.  That seems to break the copyright link enough.

Certainly - but I didn't gather that "the spec has been reverse
engineered" was actually a true statement yet for the powermac context
in question. I was suggesting that reengineering would be faster and
easier if we didn't need to have an abstract specification as an
intermeditate link, but could instead work on directly reconstructing
a meaningful assembler source file that compiles to exactly the magic
bits we already know. At the very least, debugging the result would be
vastly easier...

--
Henning Makholm             "Jeg forstår mig på at anvende sådanne midler på
                           folks legemer, at jeg kan varme eller afkøle dem,