Re: CCPL-by

Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.com> writes:
> Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org> writes:

> > I'm not clear what "the extent practicable" means here, but it
> > sounds like you may be required to purge the authors name/etc. from
> > the work if the author asks you to.  That sounds like another
> > non-free point.
>
> Careful.  Is Debian attempting to push a concept of "free" that
> conflicts with the European concept of the author's moral right?

In my personal opinion, the "moral rights" idea is very disturbing.  I
know it has its defenders, but I'd be very surprised if a license
patterned after moral rights could pass the DFSG.  Of course, that's not
an uncommon characteristic for a law to have (the US has it's fair share
of such laws).  But saying that a license is like the "European concept
of author's moral right" is a long way from a DFSG free pass.

On the other hand, I'm not at all clear on the parallel between droit
d'author and this license.  Removing all reference to someone is a whole
lot farther reaching than avoiding misrepresentations.  Perhaps I'd like
to quote you in a critique of your position?  I assume that even moral
rights would not give you the right to make me remove any reference to
you from my critique.

> If, in a foolish attempt at consistency, Debian wants to insist on the
> right to put words in peoples' mouths, there's a problem.

And this is yet a third issue, unrelated to either (a) purging all reference
to the author at the authors request, or (b) purging the authors name
from a work he finds personally repugnant.  Conflating these three very
separate issues isn't helpful.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>