Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:01:49PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
> > On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:56:21PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
>
> > > Google "macintosh boot block" turns up official Apple information that
> > > seems like it might be what you're looking for.
>
> > I have a fear suspision that this may be more related to newworld, than
> > the oldworld stuff needed for miboot,
>
> I must admit ignorance about that "newworld" and "oldworld" means in
> this context. Tried googling in several different ways but didn't get
> any wiser.

So called old world powermacs are the ones which still have a mac OS rom
system, and don't use OpenFirmware for booting, that is probably
anything older than the blue&white G3 powermac. And you can look at :

 http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch-hardware-req.en.html

for a list of such hardware.

Friendly,

Sven Luther