problem with missing license -- what's the procedure ?

Hello,

I'm packaging miBoot, which is an oldworld powermac bootloader, to be
able to cleanly build d-i boot floppies. However, the archive
distributed by upstream is missing a license.

I'm about to send a mail to the author about this, so:
    * do I cc: debian-legal?
    * would an email (possibly GPG-signed) stating that we can
      distribute miBoot under the terms of the GPL be sufficient, or do
      we absolutely need the license included together with the software?

miBoot is distributed at http://penguinppc.org/~benh/. I've got a tar.gz
version created for me by a friend if needed.

Thanks for your advice.
(please cc me on replies, i'm not subscribed.)

--
Jeremie Koenig <sprite@sprite.fr.eu.org>