Re: MPlayer reloaded

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Don Armstrong writes:
> > The only concern I'm really aware of is that the Copyright file
> > doesn't address GPL §2a.
>
> Can you give me some good examples of file headers indicating
> changes?  IMHO the GPL is not overly clear on this:
>
>     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
>     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
>
> I'll give you an example.  During my copyright/license audit I found
> the following header in the file osdep/lrmi.c in the MPlayer
> sources.

[...]

> We had modified it, but it was not labeled as such.  Clearly a
> license violation but one easily remedied.  So I added the line
>
>   Modified for use with MPlayer, see the CVS log for details.

Ideally you would add the following:

Initially modified for use with MPlayer by A N Other on 4-2-1492
$Id$
See detailed CVS changelog at http://cvs.mplayer.org

> The GPL requires giving dates of changes.

Date of any change. I personally find the initial modification and
current modification date to be sufficient.

> I consider this close to impossible as it would more or less require
> adding the date and log message of every commit to that file. This
> is what CVS is for.

That's why you can use CVS to indicate when the last change was done,
and the file itself to indicate when the first change was done.

Look at the Id tag of CVS and Subversion.

Don Armstrong

--
It has always been Debian's philosophy in the past to stick to what
makes sense, regardless of what crack the rest of the universe is

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu