Re: Debian Legal summary of the X-Oz License

On 2004-03-08 00:57:38 +0000 selussos <mgr@x-oz.com> wrote:

All of you have stated, endlessly, that you are not lawyers, and that is obviously the case since many of your questions deal with 'fair use' under the U.S. Copyright law. I would ask that you familiarize with that definition and you will find that answers most, if not all, of your questions.

I am not in the United States. Copyright law here has no "fair use" term in it, only a restricted "fair dealing" provision. We cannot rely on the US copyright law's "fair use" contradicting your licence terms in a way that makes it a free software licence. I ask that you familiarise yourself with this basic problem of copyright and free software. Software that is "free only for US residents" isn't free software (or "open source" AIUI).

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at