Re: free licensing of TEI Guidelines

On Feb 12, 2004, at 12:45, Henning Makholm wrote:

Putting our own forms into TEI's namespace would be similar to
claiming that they said something they did not.

No it isn't - not unless you *explicitly* claim that it was TEI who
said it.

If TEI's namespace is something like 'tei-consortium' and there is no technical reason things have to be added there (I don't think there is; aren't namespaces just to prevent collisions?) then I think it is perfectly reasonable to argue that things in there appear to originate with the TEI Consortium.

I think the TEI Consortium would have a reasonable case against --- under trademark law --- someone who did it without making it *very* clear that his extensions are non-standard and are not endorsed by the TEI Consortium.

Is there any good reason that I'd ever want to infringe on TEI's namespace, as opposed to using my own? I was under the impression that the whole point of namespaces was to make it clear what standard something comes from, and to prevent collisions.