Re: XFree86 license difficulties

On 2004-02-02 22:25:11 +0000 Måns Rullgård <mru@kth.se> wrote:

> MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> writes:
>> Some works with copyright held by FSF are affected by this, so their
>> published opinion probably would count.
> The copyright owner does not have the right to dictate rules
> contradicting copyright law.  Not even if he believes copyright law is
> immoral.

That is true, but you don't seem to say that it contradicts copyright law. If you want to do that instead of FUDding, I ask you to give references.

>> However, if there is a good reason why the result of a compile that
>> included a file from a work, which appears only in that work because
>> it is an extension unique to that work, is not derived from that work,
>> I'm interested to read it.
> You seem to be forgetting that dynamic linking doesn't include any
> files.

Sorry, your telepathy is wrong. I didn't query the run-time-only case because I'm not particularly interested in that right now. Most software for XFree86 that I have seen includes files at compile.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at