Re: Helix Player under GPL (was Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance)

Am Fre, den 06.08.2004 schrieb evan@debian.org um 21:11:
> So, this is a side-note about the Helix Player, not fully concerned with the
> RPSL per se.
>
> As I understand it, the Helix player (client side) has recently been
> dual-licensed under the GPL.
>
> There doesn't appear to be any way that the dual-licensing prevents users
> from exercising freedoms protected by the GPL, so barring any of the
> multitude of problems that can make GPL'd software non-free, it seems to me
> that at least the Helix player is Free Software, and should be included in
> either main or contrib.
>
> I don't know what the dependencies are, or if there are any dependencies
> that would prevent it from being in main. Thomas, is enough of the helix
> player code GPL'd that we can include it in main, regardless of what we
> conclude about the RPSL?

Yes, the whole code of Helix Player _and_ the underlying Helix DNA
Client engine is GPL'd -> can go into main. (actually player + client
are tri-licensed [GPL/RPSL/RCSL]).

See: https://helixcommunity.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=128

Thomas