Re: Netatalk and OpenSSL licencing

A bit off-topic reply.

On 13-8-2004 13:18, "MJ Ray" <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> responded to my mail:

>> Likely, this is a moral aberration I got by being employed as
>> scientist.
>
> Maybe, but there is recently an increasing consideration of
> "scientific ethics" and "science and society" topics as we are faced
> with public-debate science topics like GM/Frankenstein foods and
> theraputic/designer cloning. Perhaps your discovery of this is related
> to that in some way, but perhaps not.

Thankfully not!
I have to deal with ethics in personal life already (like till what the
ethical cost -the number of lab mice- for the development of a medicine
should be). That is hard enough for me already, thank you.
For the record, I'm working in pure optical networks.

> On copyright, you do not seem particularly unusual among scientists,
> software authors, all authors or the public in general. Many resent
> having to deal with these things and I can understand why. I hope you
> are finding these discussions helpful.

Yes! At least I know have a clear understanding of the consequences of
choosing a particular licence. It's not my main interest, but at least
now can make a better decision when choosing licence.

Thanks to all who gave me feedback!

If I was to start a new project now, at least I would be inclined to pick
a GPL-compatible, but less restrictive licence. As for current contributions
to other projects, I realised now that I can even add those contributions
under a different (compatible) licence -- something that never occurred to
me before. I don't see why I would do that, though. Because I mostly learned
that if you make odd decisions, you really need to know very carefully what
you're doing.

One thing I haven't mentioned: I may blame the FSF for being a bit to
fanatical when it comes to free software (by knowingly imposing barriers to
other open-source software). However, I do very much respect them for not
only making the problem, but providing a solution as well (in this case in
the form of GnuTLS). Now if only I get my just broken hard disk of my server
to relive, I can give that a shot.

> I think one can argue easily that many people involved are "wrong" in
> some way and it is the combination of them that causes this effect.

Yes; let's not talk about my mistakes, shall we. This thread is long enough
as it is :-)

Regards,
Freek