Re: Netatalk and OpenSSL licencing

On 2004-08-13 10:58:58 +0100 Freek Dijkstra <debian_public@macfreek.nl> wrote:

For me, I did not make a distinction between "open source" and "free"
software. All I wanted is contribute whatever I do back to the community.

There are other differences about how they've worked out too. I summarise some of the consequences from my point of view at http://mjr.towers.org.uk/writing/ambigopen.html and you can probably find the opposite piece pretty easily.

Likely, this is a moral aberration I got by being employed as scientist.

Maybe, but there is recently an increasing consideration of "scientific ethics" and "science and society" topics as we are faced with public-debate science topics like GM/Frankenstein foods and theraputic/designer cloning. Perhaps your discovery of this is related to that in some way, but perhaps not.

On copyright, you do not seem particularly unusual among scientists, software authors, all authors or the public in general. Many resent having to deal with these things and I can understand why. I hope you are finding these discussions helpful.

You are right -- as I understand now, the author who wrote the link with OpenSSL into netatalk was wrong to redistribute that additional code back to the community. At least, if the reasoning of the FSF is followed in detail.

I think one can argue easily that many people involved are "wrong" in some way and it is the combination of them that causes this effect.

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast