Re: Web application licenses

Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net>:

> > But standard advice on network security is *not* to advertise specific
> > banners.  I don't think much of that advice, but I sure do see a lot
> > of it.  Is it free to make this kind of requirement of users of the
> > software, that they ignore good security practice?
>
> If your network would be insecure if someone knew the versions of
> software you run, then your network is insecure.

Security isn't just a binary quality. In particular, you should worry
about someone (or a worm) using a search engine or scan of IP
addresses to find vulnerable machines. So, if you do advertise your
software version on a web page, it's probably helpful to tell Google,
etc not to index that page, and if you put the information in a form
that makes it harder to automatically query, that might help, too.