Re: Web application licenses

Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> writes:

> Hmmm, good point.  That goes back to the problem regarding Debian not
> keeping old versions around.  I had imagined that the user could usually
> just point to their distributor unless they personally changed the
> software, but that doesn't cover the case when that distributor no
> longer distributes.

It also has privacy and security implications.  I can't just say "This
is apache, get it from apache.org."  I have to say "This is apache
version 1.3.26 with the following plugins..." and I need to do it in a
way accessible to anyone using the software -- even if all I serve
them is a "buzz off, you're unauthenticated" page.

But standard advice on network security is *not* to advertise specific
banners.  I don't think much of that advice, but I sure do see a lot
of it.  Is it free to make this kind of requirement of users of the
software, that they ignore good security practice?

-Brian