Re: GUADEC report

On 2004-07-06 20:21:39 +0100 Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

[...] things like the desert island test are excessive.

Excessive in what way? Yes, it's an extra concept, but it's usually easier to explain than "does not follow DFSG 1, 3, 5, 6 and/or 7, for a significant number of debian users, in reasonably forseeable circumstances". Do you think the tests should never appear in a summary, because they are extreme test cases used to detect common failings?

What do you mean by "solid legal argument"? Do we need to find a lawyer to check my reasoning?
Lawyers have told people that releasing images of their trademarks under
a free license would potentially harm their trademarks. [...]

If asked a suitable question, I expect some lawyers to say that talking in one's sleep will potentially harm one's trademarks because you may utter a blanket licence, but that's just normal lawyerly caution.

Seriously, I'd be interested to know more about the reasoning and try to understand it, although I'm not qualified to dispute it. If this advice is accurate, then trademarked images are not easy to include in free software. If the registrant wants to produce free software, they should reconsider how they are using their trademarks.

Us saying "That's not what the law says" is not going to carry a great
deal of weight here unless we have some sort of legal support. [...]

Of course. This is not as familiar territory as the newbies claiming that fair rights in the US means they don't need to grant basic copyright permissions. However, it seems difficult to question when faced only with "our lawyer said X" and not knowing why. Maybe we should show some examples of trademark terms we like? Maybe we could even make the damn debian logo artwork into one?

"To be English is not to be baneful / To be standing by
the flag not feeling shameful / Racist or partial..."
                                            (Morrissey)