Re: GUADEC report

MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-07-06 20:21:39 +0100 Matthew Garrett
> <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Lawyers have told people that releasing images of their trademarks under
>> a free license would potentially harm their trademarks. [...]
>
> If asked a suitable question, I expect some lawyers to say that talking
> in one's sleep will potentially harm one's trademarks because you may
> utter a blanket licence, but that's just normal lawyerly caution.

Heh.

> Seriously, I'd be interested to know more about the reasoning and try to
> understand it, although I'm not qualified to dispute it. If this advice
> is accurate, then trademarked images are not easy to include in free
> software. If the registrant wants to produce free software, they should
> reconsider how they are using their trademarks.

I believe the issue is that unlike patents and copyrights, unenforced
trademarks become "diluted" and no longer enforcable.  To some lawyers
(especially those not overly familiar with Free Software), a
freely-licensed trademark might be seen as unenforced.  However, given
that most free licenses do place _some_ restrictions on the use of the
trademark (much like many businesses have "trademark usage guidelines"),
then I believe this fear is probably unfounded, as long as those
restrictions are enforced.  (IANAL, TINLA.)

- Josh Triplett