Re: license change for POSIX manpages

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 04:14:40PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 05:23:51PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > > "to give any third party", this fails the Desert Island (or some
> > > variant of it) test.
> >
> > Nobody on a desert island can be requested to do anything.
>
> Sure you can; send a message in a bottle (or via one-way satellite).  Lots
> of desert island failures are like that, eg. "if the original author requests
> the source, you must send it".

I think this is outside the scope of the desert island test. It
primarily targets clauses of the form "You must send the original
author a copy of any modifications you make". Arguments on the merits
for weaker clauses like the one you describe, please.

> This also fails the Chinese Dissident test: if I *have* to give you a written
> offer that can be given to someone else, then it's forcing me to communicate
> with whoever you decide to give it to.

The chinese dissident test is about revealing identity, not communication.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |