Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 08:45:09PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> > We distribute software that infringes potentially thousands of software
> > patents, and apply the same policy:  if there is no reason to believe
> > the patent will be enforced in court, the patent should be treated as if
> > it did not exist.  And patents pose more of a danger to our users than
> > this purported "font right" does, because it's use of patented ideas
> > that infringes a patent holder's rights; I'm not sure what behaviors
> > would be seen to infringe this hypothetical "font right".

> As long as the removal request clearly recognizes that this request/innuendo
> by the Hitachi is found to be baseless, I think we should remove these
> old fonts as useless dataset.

> I think previous message by Henning Makholm also think this way.

> What is your thought on this?

> I think the package removal request are rewritten wishy more accurate
> description of fact, we should remove them.  But testing the proposed
> update data are the must before actually implementing it.  Let's do it
> at next point release.

As long as everyone agrees that there is nothing illegal about Debian's
current distribution of the fonts and that this is not the reason for
the removal request, I don't really have anything else to add.  I defer
to the Stable Release Manager's judgement on the question of whether to
accept these particular updates.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek