Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 18:00, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> What? I wonder your intent for this OT statement :-(

A tongue-in-cheek joke. Nothing more. Ask me about English sometime.

> When you discuss things with non-native audience, safer choice of
> language reduces frictions.  This statement caused me to doubts the
> intent of the speaker from my modern day multi-cultural values.  Sorry.
>
> Anyway, the idiosyncrasies are, I think, essential part the of culture.
> Do not you love totally inconsistent spelling rule of English while

That's a joke, I hope! I'd like to subject them, whoever invented them,
and all those who support them, to the Tomobiki High Torture Club.[1]

Questions about how to subject an abstract concept, like English
spelling, to the aforementioned will not be entertained.

> most
> other languages in Europe have rationalized their spelling rules in
> modern days during the 17th-20th century.

And adopted a sane system of measure, too. Some of them have even
avoided computerized voting systems with no voter-verifiable ballot,
too.

> So I should think this
> statement of "screwed up" as a compliment to the Japanese culture,
> maybe :-)

Possibly. We probably have a higher illiteracy rate here, anyway, so...

> But US is not the only country in the world.

No, it's not. Thankfully. Otherwise, I'd never be able to play DVDs
under Linux :-)

It does however happen to be the one SPI, Inc. and the master FTP server
is located in.

Personally, I'd like to know which countries copyright rules Debian is
going to follow. I sincerely hope we do not have to only distribute that
which is legal in all countries; I fear such content is quite rare.

> Anyway, the updated request for removal/update for these packages, I
> hope, shall not contain reference to the "copyright" issues.  Then the
> result of these legal assessments will be irrelevant for the request.

No, certainly the removal of packages from unstable is mostly at the
maintainer's discretion. And if they happen to be ugly, hard to read, or
otherwise unsuitable fonts, ftp-master should remove them from unstable.

PS: How good did my Mac's rendering of that glyph look?

FOOTNOTES:
     1. Mwahahahaha! You expected an explanation here?! Not likely ;-)