Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 05:24:47AM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2003, at 11:15, GOTO Masanori wrote:
>
> >So it's hard to make Japanese characters which have beautiful shape
> >and unified baseline because each form is complex, and there are a lot
> >of such complicated characters.
>
> Well, at the risk of starting a flame war, that says more about how
> screwed up the language is

What? I wonder your intent for this OT statement :-(

When you discuss things with non-native audience, safer choice of
language reduces frictions.  This statement caused me to doubts the
intent of the speaker from my modern day multi-cultural values.  Sorry.

Anyway, the idiosyncrasies are, I think, essential part the of culture.
Do not you love totally inconsistent spelling rule of English while most
other languages in Europe have rationalized their spelling rules in
modern days during the 17th-20th century.  So I should think this
statement of "screwed up" as a compliment to the Japanese culture,
maybe :-)

> than about the copyrightability (in the US) of a work.

You seem to know and very intelligent on this subject of copyright.
> They are, as a matter of law in the United State, not copyrightable.
> For example, this paragraph comes from the House Report on the 1976
> Copyright Act:
> There are other copyright office rulings saying that bitmap fonts can't
> be copyrighted.

But US is not the only country in the world.

Anyway, the updated request for removal/update for these packages, I
hope, shall not contain reference to the "copyright" issues.  Then the
result of these legal assessments will be irrelevant for the request.

Osamu