Re: possible licensing issues with some scsh source files

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:05:57AM -0500, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> >> scsh-0.6.4/scheme/big/sort.scm:
> >>
> >> ;;; 2. Users of this software agree to make their best efforts (a) to return
> >> ;;;    to the T Project at Yale any improvements or extensions that they make,
> >> ;;;    so that these may be included in future releases; and (b) to inform
> >> ;;;    the T Project of noteworthy uses of this software.
[...]
> "Best Effort" is a term with specific legal meanings.  "obligation to
> attempt to meet a goal using every reasonable means available," isn't
> a perfect definition, but it's close.  In particular, it doesn't
> consider the costs or consequences of those actions to you: even
> Chinese dissidents can send e-mail, so they have to do so.
>
> This is not a Free license.

I concur.

> >> ;;; 3. All materials developed as a consequence of the use of this software
> >> ;;;    shall duly acknowledge such use, in accordance with the usual standards
> >> ;;;    of acknowledging credit in academic research.
[...]
> This is, at worst, reducible to the BSD advertising clause.  It's not
> reducible to a copyright notice in the binary: if I'm giving a talk
> about a program I wrote for a professor, I'm obligated by academic
> honesty to mention inspirations and contributions *in the talk*.
> So I would read this clause as requiring acknowledgement of
> inspiration and origins in advertising material, sales pitches, and
> documentation.

I think it's worse than that.

Anything that is both mandatory *and* hopelessly vague is DFSG-non-free
because we don't have a clue what it means.  And by "clue", I mean
something we're confident we can defend in court.

This clause is obviously mandatory ("All materials...shall"), and IMO
it's hopelessly vague as well ("in accordance with the usual
standards").

I think it is unethical to legally bind people to your own lazy
hand-waving.  ("I have a good idea of what I have in mind here, but I
can't be assed to express it clearly, so I'll just expect you to figure
it out, and take you to court if you guess wrong.")  That's bullshit.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he