Re: freeamp -> zinf transition

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 04:48:41PM +0100, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> I'll provide one ASAP, however a problem is that "Amp" is a trademark
> of NullSoft (the company producing WinAmp) and thus FreeAmp has
> been renamed.

As an aside, this trademark is absurd and probably
unenforcible. winamp has never been marketed or even associated with
the word "amp", and it already has a common interpretation in this
field ("amplifier"). It is also a registered trademark of various
other people in other fields, but none to NullSoft or AOL. So they
don't have explicit *or* implicit trademark interest.

Furthermore, I don't think they even have a registered trademark on
"winamp" as a generic audio player. They just have one for
"ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES, NAMELY, PROVIDING NEWS AND INFORMATION IN THE
FIELD OF MUSIC VIA COMPUTER NETWORKS", and one for "DIGITAL AUDIO
SOFTWARE FOR PLAYING HIGH-FIDELITY AUDIO VIA AN ELECTRONIC
COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK".

I don't think we need to worry about them much.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |