Re: DFSG-freeness of Apache Software Licenses

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> What we are trying to prevent is a patent owner submitting a
> contribution that includes the patented or patent-pending material
> for the purpose of later suing those who use the larger work. The
> patent itself might not even be granted yet, let alone be publicly
> known.

That particular goal is quite acceptable (and a very good idea, IMO.)
The primary issue debian-legal has with this clause is the Reciprocity
aspect of it.

A clause that enables the license to a piece of IP in a piece of Free
Software to be revokable is a useage restriction, and as such, not
DSFG Free.[1] [It fails DFSG #5 and #6.]

Hopefully that clears this up some.

Don Armstrong

1: http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
--
The attackers hadn't simply robbed the bank. They had carried off
everything portable, including the security cameras, the carpets, the

-- Bruce Sterling, _Distraction_ p4

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu