Re: old and new GNU documentation licenses, and the some of the manuals to which they apply

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 07:16:51PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> This license is obviously (to me) DFSG-free:
> * There are no use or copying (as such) restrictions at all.
> * Permission to modify is unfettered except for preservation of license
>   terms.
> * Permission to redistribute is unfettered except for preservation of
>   license terms.

I should have used slightly different wording here, though hopefully my
meaning (and the license itself) was clear to all.

I mean that this, the traditional GNU documentation license, is a
copyleft.  The BSD licenses require that the "license terms be
preserved", but only in the form of the permission notice itself.  One
might say that for the BSD licenses, it's the permission "terminology"
that has to be preseved.

E.g.:
  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      We either learn from history or,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      uh, well, something bad will