Re: Documentation and Sarge's Release Critical Policy

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:11:14AM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:

> Let's play fair now:
>
> >From WordNet (r) 1.7 :
>
>   software
>        n : (computer science) written programs or procedures or rules
>            and associated documentation pertaining to the operation
>            of a computer system and that are stored in read/write
>            memory; "the market for software is expected to expand"
>
> I do not consider those files are "associated documentation". They
> do not document the program they come with, unlike the manual.

If the files are not "associated" then why are they THERE?  If they are not
associated, we can remove them.  The license means we can NOT remove them,
therefore, they are associated and are non-free.  (or are you going to claim
that a "verbatim copying only" license is Free?)

> No, qmail is non-free software and would not go into Debian.

Considering we HAVE to include these non-free components, then neither is
emacs free.

Stephen