Re: Documentation and Sarge's Release Critical Policy

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 15:00, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > I believe this comment is a mischaracterisation of the consensus that
> > has developed on this list. Recently explained by Nathanael Nerode on
> > the glibc mailing list:
> > <http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2003/debian-glibc-200308/msg00160.html>
> >
> > I in no way support any claims that clear majority agreement has not
> > been reached. So in this respect sarge_rc_policy.txt should at least
> > read: "This will become a requirement post-sarge."
>
> That post says:
>
>  The people left who claim that we should allow GFDLed documents with
>  invariant sections into 'main' are...
>
> I would hope that the other problems with this license will be
> sufficient to make it non-free even for docs without invariant
> sections.  Do we have a consensus on that?

There is clearly consensus on "invariant sections" and the GNU FDL also
describes a number of other items that are essentially invariant or must
be combined.

More generally I believe there is consensus that the GNU FDL is not a
DFSG-free licence. The biggest problem we faced is that the FDL so
aggressively discriminates against the endeavour of computer programming
that we didn't even notice we were discussing a non-software licence.
Debian distributes 100% free software (which includes associated
documentation). Not any old stuff with a licence that stops it being a
subset of software.

> In the meantime, if there's consensus about invariant sections then I
> don't see why they can't be moved to non-free before november.

Oh, I see your reasoning. I was thinking of how difficult it may be to
separate out the data from some of the packages and design ways to
expunge non-DFSG documentation from the .orig.tar.gz files. Your idea is
to just to move packages to non-free.

> > > With you 100%.
> >
> > It's a timing issue. Clear consensus has only occurred very recently. Do
> > people want to see FTP uploads being rejected right this minute? The
> > forthcoming release of Sarge gives everyone a clear and historical cut
> > off date for implementing the consensus and gives archive maintainers a
> > clear date for strictly enforcing policy.
>
> I'd rather we stick to our principles, but clearly there isn't a
> consensus on that.

That's a low blow.

So what's your timeline for migration? Move Emacs into non-free today?
The .orig.tar.gz files contain what we consider non-DFSG-free files, and
.orig.tar.gz files in main and contrib are supposed to meet the DFSG.
With a migration plan, Emacs _the program_ has a chance of staying in
Debian.

Regards,
Adam

emacs21_21.3.orig.tar.gz:

etc/emacs.1:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
etc/emacstool.1:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
etc/etags.1:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
etc/gfdl.1:GFDL \- The GNU Free Documentation License
etc/gfdl.1:of the GNU Free Documentation License from time to time.  Such new
etc/gfdl.1:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
info/emacs:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/emacs:Node: GNU Free Documentation License
info/ccmode:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/cl:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/ediff:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/forms:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/gnus:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/info:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/message:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/mh-e:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/reftex:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/sc:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/vip:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/viper:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/widget:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/ada-mode:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/autotype:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/idlwave:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/idlwave:is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License" in
info/eudc:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/eudc:is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License" in
info/ebrowse:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/ebrowse:is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License" in
info/pcl-cvs:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/woman:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/woman:is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License" in
info/emacs-mime:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/emacs-mime:is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License" in
info/eshell:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
info/eshell:is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License" in
info/speedbar:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/ada-mode.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/ada-mode.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/autotype.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/autotype.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/cc-mode.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/cc-mode.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/cl.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/cl.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/doclicense.texi:@node GNU Free Documentation License, Intro, Copying, Top
man/doclicense.texi:@appendix GNU Free Documentation License
man/doclicense.texi:of the GNU Free Documentation License from time to time.  Such new
man/doclicense.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
man/ebrowse.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/ebrowse.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/ediff.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/ediff.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/emacs-mime.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/emacs-mime.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/emacs.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/emacs.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/emacs.texi:* GNU Free Documentation License:: The license for this documentation.
man/emacs.texi:@node Copying, GNU Free Documentation License, Distrib, Top
man/emacs.texi:@node Intro, Glossary, GNU Free Documentation License, Top
man/eshell.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/eshell.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/eudc.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/eudc.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/forms.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/forms.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/gnu.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/gnus.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/gnus.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/gnus.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/idlwave.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/idlwave.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/info.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/info.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/message.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/message.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/mh-e.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/mh-e.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/pcl-cvs.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/pcl-cvs.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/reftex.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/reftex.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/sc.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/sc.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/speedbar.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/speedbar.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/vip.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/viper.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/widget.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/woman.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
man/woman.texi:under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or

info/emacs:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-1:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-2:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-2:     The "Invariant Sections" are certain Secondary Sections whose
info/emacs-2:     titles are designated, as being those of Invariant Sections, in
info/emacs-2:     G. Preserve in that license notice the full lists of Invariant
info/emacs-2:     L. Preserve all the Invariant Sections of the Document,
info/emacs-2:     conflict in title with any Invariant Section.
info/emacs-2:     designate some or all of these sections as invariant.  To do this,
info/emacs-2:     add their titles to the list of Invariant Sections in the Modified
info/emacs-2:     all of the Invariant Sections of all of the original documents,
info/emacs-2:     unmodified, and list them all as Invariant Sections of your
info/emacs-2:     multiple identical Invariant Sections may be replaced with a single
info/emacs-2:     copy.  If there are multiple Invariant Sections with the same name
info/emacs-2:     the list of Invariant Sections in the license notice of the
info/emacs-2:     4.  Replacing Invariant Sections with translations requires special
info/emacs-2:     translations of some or all Invariant Sections in addition to the
info/emacs-2:     original versions of these Invariant Sections.  You may include a
info/emacs-2:     with the Invariant Sections being LIST THEIR TITLES, with the
info/emacs-3:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-4:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-5:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-6:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-7:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-8:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-9:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-10:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-11:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-12:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-13:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-14:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-15:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-16:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-17:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-18:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-19:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-20:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-21:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-22:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-23:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-24:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-25:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-26:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-27:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-28:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-29:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-30:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-31:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-32:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-33:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-34:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-35:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/emacs-36:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/ccmode:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/ccmode-1:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/ccmode-2:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/ccmode-3:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/ccmode-4:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/cl:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/cl-1:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/cl-2:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/cl-3:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/cl-4:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/cl-5:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/cl-6:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/ediff:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/ediff-1:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/ediff-2:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/ediff-3:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/forms:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/info:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/message:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/mh-e:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/mh-e-1:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/mh-e-2:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/mh-e-3:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/mh-e-4:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/reftex:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/reftex-1:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/reftex-2:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/reftex-3:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/reftex-4:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/reftex-5:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/sc:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/sc-1:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/sc-2:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/sc-3:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/vip:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/vip-1:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/vip-2:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/viper:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/viper-1:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/viper-2:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/viper-3:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/viper-4:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/viper-5:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/widget:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/ada-mode:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/autotype:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/idlwave:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/eudc:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/ebrowse:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual,"
info/pcl-cvs:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
info/woman:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual,"
info/emacs-mime:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual,"
info/eshell:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being "A GNU Manual",
info/speedbar:Invariant Sections being "The GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU
leim/SKK-DIC/SKK-JISYO.L:invariant /¥¤¥ó¥ô¥¡¥ê¥¢¥ó¥È/
lisp/case-table.el:			 "case-invariant")
lisp/case-table.el:			(t "case-invariant")))))
lisp/case-table.el:  "Make character C case-invariant with syntax SYNTAX.
Binary file lisp/case-table.elc matches
lisp/ChangeLog.8:	necessary invariant that on each level all leaf children precede
man/ada-mode.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/ada-mode.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/autotype.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/autotype.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/cc-mode.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/cc-mode.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/cl.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/cl.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/doclicense.texi:The ``Invariant Sections'' are certain Secondary Sections whose titles
man/doclicense.texi:are designated, as being those of Invariant Sections, in the notice
man/doclicense.texi:G. Preserve in that license notice the full lists of Invariant Sections
man/doclicense.texi:L. Preserve all the Invariant Sections of the Document,
man/doclicense.texi:   or to conflict in title with any Invariant Section.@*
man/doclicense.texi:of these sections as invariant.  To do this, add their titles to the
man/doclicense.texi:list of Invariant Sections in the Modified Version's license notice.
man/doclicense.texi:Invariant Sections of all of the original documents, unmodified, and
man/doclicense.texi:list them all as Invariant Sections of your combined work in its
man/doclicense.texi:multiple identical Invariant Sections may be replaced with a single
man/doclicense.texi:copy.  If there are multiple Invariant Sections with the same name but
man/doclicense.texi:Invariant Sections in the license notice of the combined work.
man/doclicense.texi:Replacing Invariant Sections with translations requires special
man/doclicense.texi:translations of some or all Invariant Sections in addition to the
man/doclicense.texi:original versions of these Invariant Sections.  You may include a
man/doclicense.texi:with the Invariant Sections being @var{list their titles}, with the
man/doclicense.texi:instead of saying which ones are invariant.  If you have no
man/ebrowse.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/ebrowse.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/ediff.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/ediff.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/emacs-mime.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/emacs.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/emacs.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/eshell.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/eshell.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/eudc.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/eudc.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/forms.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/forms.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/gnu.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/gnus.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/gnus.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/idlwave.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/idlwave.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/info.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/info.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/message.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/mh-e.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/mh-e.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/pcl-cvs.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/pcl-cvs.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/reftex.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/reftex.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/sc.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/sc.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/speedbar.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/speedbar.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/vip.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/viper.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/widget.texi:Invariant Sections being ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and
man/woman.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU
man/woman.texi:Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover texts being ``A GNU