ircd-hybrid and OpenSSL

Hello debian-legal,

It was recently brought to my attention that my package, ircd-hybrid,
currently in the archive under main/net, needs to be corrected one way
or another due to its use of OpenSSL for encrypted server-to-server
connections. The source itself is licensed under pure GPLv2.

Marco D'Itri told me that I should be able to do one of the following:

1) Talk with upstream (which I am a part of) and get the consensus to
amend the license of present and future releases like so:

"This program is licensed under the GNU General Public License, with the
exception that linking against the OpenSSL libraries is allowed."

2) Rewrite the crypto backend to use GNU TLS.

I would much prefer to do the former, to say the least. Can you please
advise on the wording of the amendment if it is a suitable alternative
to rewriting a large amount of code?

Please CC me; I'm not subscribed.

Thanks,
Josh