Re: ircd-hybrid and OpenSSL

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 10:55:45PM -0700, Joshua Kwan wrote:
> It was recently brought to my attention that my package, ircd-hybrid,
> currently in the archive under main/net, needs to be corrected one way
> or another due to its use of OpenSSL for encrypted server-to-server
> connections. The source itself is licensed under pure GPLv2.
>
> Marco D'Itri told me that I should be able to do one of the following:
>
> 1) Talk with upstream (which I am a part of) and get the consensus to
> amend the license of present and future releases like so:
>
> "This program is licensed under the GNU General Public License, with the
> exception that linking against the OpenSSL libraries is allowed."

Hybrid has been cobbled together from significant contributions by
countless dozens of people, stretching all the way back to Jarkko
Oikarinen. The University of Oulu probably also has partial copyright
interest. You would need postive approval (not just consensus) from
_all_ of these people - which first means you've got to find them all.

Basically: forget it.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |