Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 01:02:44AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 01:30:48PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > It can buy freedom, depending on "what exactly you buy," as Wouter said.
>
> If you have bought it, what you have isn't freedom.

I was talking about buying rights to a non-free software package and
making it free for you and everyone else ... you have paid money to make
there be a free software package where before there was only a non-free
one ... that is buying freedom (for yourself, which you then share with
others via a DFSG-free license), in a very real sense that pertains very
much to copyright law. Blender is more free now than it was before the
community paid $100K.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org