Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 02:31:28PM -0400, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> So no, buying closed proprietary code and releasing it under the GPL
> (e.g., Blender) does not give me any freedoms I didn't have before.
> It merely gives me technical capabilities I hadn't had before.
> You can't give me freedom.  I've got it innately, unless I relinquish
> it or it is taken from me by force.

"We have sought to disperse power, to set men and women free. That
really means: to help them discover that they are free. Everybody's
free. The slave is free. The ultimate weapon isn't this plague out in
Vegas, or any new super H-bomb. The ultimate weapon has always
existed. Every man, every woman, and every child owns it. It's the
ability to say /No/ and take the consequences. 'Fear is failure.' 'The
fear of death is the beginning of slavery.' 'Thou hast no right but to
do thy will.' The goose can break the bottle at any second. Socrates
took the hemlock to prove it. Jesus went on the cross to prove
it. It's in all history, all myth, all poetry. It's right out in the
open all the time"
 -- Hagbard Celine, who was probably stoned at the time

As usual, it's like the verbal form of LSD, but once you disentangle
that you tend to avoid using the word "freedom" much.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |