Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

On Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003, at 13:29 US/Eastern, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> writes:

I don't think an interpretation of the GPL that says "I wrote this
code in C. Forever is C must it stay!" is correct.

Right.  All I'm saying is you must distribute the C code; I don't care
whether you continue to make changes in that language.

Why would C stay the preferred form for modifying a work for eternity, even when the current work bares hardly a resemblence to its C original?

How so? Because someone making a change to my program could make it in
a programming language I can't read? Yeah, I lose a lot of control
over what people do with my software when I decide to make it
Free. Tough.

It is perfectly reasonable to make the change it whatever language you
wish.  All I'm saying is you must continue to distribute the original
source too.

So, essentially, you're saying that for either images or translations to other programming languages, the GPL is a original source + patches license? Does this apply to human-language translations as well? What about changes to C code in C?