Re: Proposed: Debian's Five Freedoms for Free Works

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 01:15:38AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Am Don, 2003-06-12 um 23.21 schrieb Branden Robinson:
> > 5) The freedom to retain privacy in one's person, effects, and data,
> >    including, but not limited to, all Works in one's possession and one's
> >    own changes to Works written by others.
>
> Isn't that effectively this "lonely island test"?

I know it as the "Desert Island" test, but I think we're thinking of the
same thing, yes.

> Since if it would be required to disclose any information, the lonely
> islander would not be able to use it legally.

Right.

> And if I got it right, then the "lonely island test" has been applied to
> all Debian software (or at least to those in doubt), so one can actually
> hope that every piece of Debian software and data already confirms to
> your "5th Requirement for Freedom".

Well, more or less.  As we've learned over the years, there are
sometimes surprises lurking in very old packages that have been in
Debian for a long time.

Debian as a Project is far, far more careful about licenses now than we
were 9+ years ago.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      To stay young requires unceasing
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      cultivation of the ability to