Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> [...] The FSF is willing to characterize a document with
> invariant sections as "free" because this allows the FSF to use such
> sections to promote software freedom.

I'm not sure that is accurate.  I *think* the FSF position is that free
documentation can be contained within a non-free document.  Note that
FDL stands for Free Documentation Licence, not Free Document Licence.

> Debian is not willing to do the same. [...]

I don't think either group claims that an FDL-covered work is necessarily
free software.  Debian's social contract is not to include anything
that isn't free software, more or less.  The definitions of "free
documentation" and "free document" are currently irrelevant to this
discussion.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."