Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

On 2 June 2003 RMS wrote:
> I've looked at the problems people have reported.  Many of them are
> misunderstandings (what they believe is not allowed actually is
> allowed), many of these cases have adequate workarounds, and the rest
> are real inconveniences that shouldn't be exaggerated.  [...]

It is fairly clear now that Debian and the FSF have different
visions of software freedom and, therefore, different definitions
of 'free'.  The FSF is willing to characterize a document with
invariant sections as "free" because this allows the FSF to use such
sections to promote software freedom.  Debian is not willing to do
the same.  Each organization will pursue its own vision of freedom
even though their visions are different.  Documents with invariant
sections will go in "non-free", but this shouldn't prevent Debian and
the FSF from continuing to work together.

--
Thomas Hood