Re: GPL exception ???

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 01:57:08PM -0700, Mark Rafn wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I hope the copyright holder realizes that this restriction is
> > unenforceable under copyright law if the source code and documentation
> > are rewritten such that they are no longer derivative works.
>
> I don't disagree, but I think I'm missing something WRT the reason for
> your comment.  It never crossed my mind that a license author would expect
> such a restriction to apply to original works.  In this case, it even says
> "Derivative works must...".

I'm not convinced that the author of the blurb in questions understands
"derivative works" the same way I do.  His stance seems considerably
more militant than even a fairly strong reading of copyright law would
permit.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Good judgement comes from
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     experience; experience comes from